Monday 2 April 2012

Content with poetry


I’m not looking for something in-depth,
Meaningful, or particularly interesting.
I don’t want to be in a position where
My heart is on a string, but the rope
Is in someone else’s pocket. I don’t
Want to remove the padlock from my
Heart, or give someone the key to unlock
It. I’m looking for someone with some-
Thing to say, someone capable of the
Analysis of Hemingway or a detailed
Discussion of poetry; but under no
Circumstances will I be inclined to let
Someone analyse me. I’m content in
Staying as an anomaly. Deep intellect
Is all I need to keep me warm at night,
I have no need for someone there,
Pestering me to let them hold me tight
When the only comfort I need is from
The characters of a good book. Don’t give
Me that look, you can’t honestly say
You’re content with someone being there
Every hour of every day. When you sleep,
When you wake, when you try to take
Five minutes alone and can’t even find peace
Inside your own home. Oh, you like that?
The comfort of having someone there for
You, displaying emotions that seem to
Be true, (pardon my cynicism towards
Romanticism, I suppose you’re entitled
To dream…). Well that’s all well and good
But I’m afraid it’s not for me. No, I think
I’ll remain content with good poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment